The Edmonton and District Historical Society (EDHS) is a non-profit, charitable society with a mandate to promote, preserve, and celebrate the history of Edmonton and the surrounding district. They have been around since 1907, and began as the seat of the Historical Society of Alberta (HSA). When the HSA was reorganized in 1958, Edmonton became the Amiskwaskahegan Chapter of the HSA. They were renamed the Edmonton and District Historical Society, incorporated as an independent society, on October 1, 1991.
Rivers and Rails is the first publication in EDHS' occasional paper series. Prepared by Alan Vanterpool, an enthusiastic and prolific writer with a special interest in Alberta railways and bridges, this inaugural edition examines lesser known aspects of Edmonton's local history.